“Court is seldom a good business strategy.”
– Jim Joyce, Joyce & Bary Law
Joyce & Bary represents clients in such business transactions as the purchase or sale of ongoing businesses. Led by attorney Jim Joyce, our dedicated business team can assist you with the formation and structuring of appropriate business entities to protect you and your business. We also prepare all types of business contracts and agreements.
Jim’s goal is to help business owners stay out of court.
For more than 25 years, Jim practiced at a large firm in Roanoke, Virginia, where he litigated hundreds — even thousands — of cases, including car crashes, product liability cases, and multimillion dollar business claims. Now, he uses that experience to help small-business clients avoid disputes and litigation through carefully drafted transactional purchase and sale documents and other kinds of business agreements.
Jim’s experience is wide-ranging — he’s written sale and purchase agreements for everything from a hundred thousand dollar pizza parlor to a $50 million manufacturing facility. He’s worked with businesses across dozens of industries, including printing, venue management, convenience stores, franchises, automotive repair, wine production and sales, manufacturing, plumbing, and construction.
As a result of his experience, Jim is able to deliver big-firm service and expertise without big-firm (or big-city) overhead. Being a small-business owner himself, Jim is even more enthusiastic about helping small-business buyers and sellers and knows that they are looking for an attorney who understands the moving parts on both sides of the transaction.
Professional, Comprehensive Business Representation
Jim’s small-business clients are typically those who are looking for real value in a legal representative so they can maximize the hard work and resources they have put into their businesses. They are very knowledgeable about their industries and appreciative of the kind of expertise Jim brings to their business deals and future success. They are looking for top-of-the-line legal services at a cost that aligns with the size of their business.
Jim handles all types of business transactions and agreements, including:
- LLC formations and operating agreements
- Corporate asset purchases and sales
- Stock sales and purchases
- Negotiating and drafting business contracts, commercial real estate leases
- Buy-sell agreements
- Joint ventures
- Business divisions and buyouts
- Confidentiality agreements
- Non-competition agreements
- Non-solicitation agreements
- Employment agreements
- License agreements
- Shareholder agreements
- Member control agreements
- Non-disclosure agreements
- Management agreements
Education and Professional Development
- Admitted to practice before the US Supreme Court, The Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals, all Federal and State Courts in Virginia. Licensed to practice in the United States Tax Court and before the Social Security Administration.
- Trained mediator
- Juris Doctor, University of Virginia
- Bachelor’s degree, summa cum laude, Wofford College, Spartanburg, SC
Professional Involvement and Community Service
- Member, National Organization of Social Security Claimants’ Representatives (NOSSCR)
- Served on the board of and as president of the Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys
- Chosen as one of two lawyer faculty at a workshop for the newly appointed Judges when the Virginia Court of Appeals was first established
- Served on the board of directors of the West End Center for Youth
- Served on board of directors and as president of Crime Line
- Active in church leadership
- Coached youth sports, including Little League baseball and soccer
Jim spends as much of his free time as possible involved in activities and sports with his grandchildren. He loves to get outdoors and enjoys activities such as backpacking, canoeing, kayaking, and gardening. In 2021, he had the opportunity to hike the Cirque of the Towers, a semi-circle of fifteen 12,000-foot craggy peaks that form a portion of the Continental Divide in the Wind River Mountain Range of Wyoming. The video below is from that trip.
Kimberly Beamer Associate Attorney
Kimberly has broad professional experience. She worked as a Judicial Law Clerk for the 23rd Judicial Circuit in Roanoke and served as Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney in Franklin County. She has also worked in private practice, handling business agreements, criminal matters, landlord/tenant disputes and estate planning.
At Joyce & Bary, most of Kimberly’s practice is devoted to business-related matters, including advising small-business owners and negotiating and drafting various business agreements. She works alongside Jim to support and protect our business clients.